Respite Services

Wintergreen provides respite to children and youth up to the age of 18, with a variety of unique needs.  These children and youth come from a large catchment area that includes the City of Kawartha Lakes, Haliburton, Simcoe County, York Region, Peterborough, Northumberland and Durham Region.  The program is designed to meet the needs of the child or youth to ensure that they have an enjoyable time.  Safety is always paramount in the program and this is a major consideration when placing individuals together.

Wintergreen is located near Kinmount, in Minden Hills Township.  Wintergreen is on 100 acres of land that is primarily covered with dense forest.  There is lots of wild life to be seen so always travel down the roads with caution.  

One of the unique features of this program is that we offer transportation to and from Wintergreen.  This is very beneficial as it can be a long distance for some families.

The length of stay is typically 3 days and two nights.  Sometimes longer periods of time can be requested by going through your referring case manager. Your referring case manager will contact us directly, to see if this request can be accommodated or not. 

Staffing to child ratio is dependent on the needs of the children and youth attending at that particular time.

There is much to do at Wintergreen during all seasons of the year, such as hiking, jumping on trampoline, playing in playground area, and having bonfires at night.  During the Winter there is tobogganing, snowshoeing, and playing out in the snow!  Inside the house for those rainy days, we do have satellite, we watch movies, play video games, listen to music, do crafts and lots of books are available for children. We also have a variety of toys inside for children to play with. We also try to take children and youth out into the community to enjoy local parks, beaches, indoor pools, the Zoo and many other places. 

Referrals for this program are not made directly through our agency; they are made through your local area Case Coordination Service provider.  If you are unsure who this is and how to make a referral please contact us directly and we will assist you in this process.